Assistant Golf Superintendent
November 24, 2020 at 9:29 p.m.
JOB TITLE: ASSISTANT GOLF SUPERINTENDENT
ACCOUNTABLE TO: Golf Course Manager
To assist the Golf Course Manager to plan, organize, coordinate and supervise the maintenance and operations of the golf course facilities and grounds; assist in planning and implementing capital improvement projects; train, supervise and evaluate the performance of assigned staff.
LEVEL OF AUTHORITY:
Operates with direction from the Golf Course Manager, and appreciable latitude for independent action and decisions commensurate with demonstrated ability, following broad policy guidelines, department objectives, and applicable laws, rules, and ordinances.
Work is performed in the outdoors and the shop environment; Some work involves operating machinery such as mowers, chemical sprayers, and service vehicles. Worker will be exposed to chemicals, fuel, fumes, dust, pollen, and noise from equipment operation.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
The following duties are not inclusive of all duties and the incumbent performs other related duties as required:
· Assists in planning and supervising the maintenance of golf course property; schedules work; and supervises the employees and the use of the equipment.
· Ensures subordinate staff complies with all rules, policies and procedures as outlined in the TNGC DC Employee Handbook
· Assists Golf Course Manager in the hiring of summer and part time help.
· Trains employees how to safely and efficiently do their job tasks as it relates to the golf course operation.
· Runs the daily operations to ensure the golf course is set properly for the day.
· Assists with the maintenance and oversight of all aspects of the golf course maintenance.
· Monitors the course condition daily.
· Communicates with the Golf Course Manager on maintenance procedures of the course.
· Schedules daily irrigation – This includes ensuring all hand watering and supplemental irrigation is complete as well as programming irrigation computer on a daily basis.
· Supervises and participates in the operation and maintenance of pumps, and in the maintenance of irrigation and drainage systems.
· Oversees construction projects as necessary on the course.
· Instructs equipment operators on the operation and care of mowing and other equipment.
· Assists the Golf Course Manager with projects
· Communicates daily with the Golf Course Manager
· Assist with ordering and keeping inventory of golf course supplies. This includes monitoring, purchasing, receiving, and ensuring invoices and packing slips are accurate and signed.
· Assists in personnel management and evaluation, employee safety and personnel discipline.
· Oversees and helps implement capital and agronomic course improvement plans.
· Monitor and communicate turfgrass issues associated with moisture, pests, and disease to Golf Course Manager.
· Keeps accurate records of chemical & fertilizer application data.
· Perform related duties as assigned.
Preferred college-level course work in turf management or related field
Five years experience working in a golf course or grounds maintenance work.
Licensing and Certification:
· Possession of a valid Indiana State driver's license at the time of appointment or the ability to obtain one within thirty (30) days, and a driving record acceptable to the City's Risk Manager.
· Preferred Indiana State Pesticide Applicators license, category 3B
· Submit drug-free personal specimens for initial and random drug screens.
· Lifting heavy objects;
· Bending at the waist;
· Stooping; kneeling or crouching to change cups;
· Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a variety of specialized equipment and hand and power tools;
· Pushing and pulling mowers;
· Sitting for extended periods of time while operating grounds equipment;
· Reaching overhead and horizontally to prune trees;
· Standing and walking for extended periods of time;
· Walking over rough or uneven surfaces.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
· Current maintenance practices related to golf course grounds and facilities.
· Methods, materials and practices of applying fertilizers, pesticides and herbicides to control weeds and pests.
· Principles and practices of supervision and training.
· Maintenance and repair of irrigation systems.
· Methods and materials used in controlling pests, insects and weeds.
· Health and safety regulations and procedures.
· Plan, organize, coordinate and supervise the maintenance and operations of the City golf course facilities and grounds.
· Plan and implement capital improvement projects.
· Train, supervise and evaluate personnel.
· Maintain current knowledge of technological advances in the field.
· Analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action.
· Meet schedules and timelines.
· Operate hand and power tools and other equipment used in grounds maintenance.
· Plan, organize and schedule grounds keeping activities and personnel.
· Work courteously and tactfully with customers and employees.
EEO CATEGORY: Officials & Managers
The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required and the scope of responsibility, but should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements.
This listing expires Tuesday December 8, 2020