January 27, 2020 at 8:53 p.m.
Purpose: The Head Lifeguard is to assist the Pool Manager to oversee the lifeguard staff in accordance with policies and standards as set by the American Red Cross and the Logansport Parks & Recreation Department and the City of Logansport. The Head Lifeguard is accountable to the Pool Manager.
1. Prefer a minimum of 20 years of age or 3 season’s experience at a similar life-guarding situation.
2. Has previous experience in a management or supervisor position at a similar aquatic area of at least 6 weeks duration.
3. Holds current certification for Either American Red Cross Lifeguard or its equivalent (i.e., YMCA, Boy Scouts, or Jeff Ellis & Associates).
4. Holds current certification in Standard First Aid from the ARC or the Equivalent and Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation form the ARC or the equivalent.
5. Has good judgment in anticipating and preventing accidents.
6. Is able to act calmly and quickly during emergencies.
7. Has the ability to work with and supervises other assigned staff.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
1. Supervise the work of the Lifeguard staff.
2. Serves as a liaison between the lifeguard staff and the management staff.
3. Provides weekly meeting time with the Aquatics staff to communicate job assignments, schedules and other concerns.
4. Review and rehearses with Aquatics staff the written emergency and accident plan, which deals with near-drownings and other aquatic accidents.
5. Supervises opening and closing procedures and ensures that supplies, equipment and facilities are obtained, stored, maintained and utilized.
6. Performs duties as a lifeguard.
7. Maintains pool appearance.
8. Performs first aid and responds to emergency situations such as inclement weather, finding lost children, drowning, etc.
9. As necessary, maintains records of accidents and incidents at Aquatics, water testing and end of season records and reports.
10. Evaluates Aquatics operations as well as job responsibilities at the close of the summer season.
11. Performs other related essential duties as required.